Cracking down on college students, the music industry is sending thousands more complaints to top universities this school year than it did last year as it targets music illegally downloaded over campus computer networks.
A few schools, including Ohio and Purdue universities, already have received more than 1,000 complaints accusing individual students since last fall â€” significant increases over the past school year. For students who are caught, punishments vary from e-mail warnings to semester-long suspensions from classes.
The trade group for the largest music labels, the Recording Industry Association of America, identified at the request of The Associated Press the 25 universities that received the most copyright complaints it sent so far this school year. The trade group long has pressured schools to act more aggressively against online pirates on campus.
[...] The top five schools are Ohio, Purdue, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Tennessee and the University of South Carolina. The RIAA complained about almost 15,000 students at those 25 universities, nearly triple the number for the previous school year.
“They’re trying to make a statement,” said Randall Hall, who polices computers at Michigan State University, seventh on the list with 753 complaints. Michigan State received 432 such complaints in December alone, when students only attended classes for half the month.
Later: Ars Technica has the list:
Ohio University - 1,287
- Purdue University - 1,068
- University of Nebraska at Lincoln - 1,002
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville - 959
- University of South Carolina - 914
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst - 897
- Michigan State University - 753
- Howard University - 572
- North Carolina State University - 550
- University of Wisconsin at Madison - 513
- University of South Florida - 490
- Syracuse University - 488
- Northern Illinois University - 487
- University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire - 473
- Boston University - 470
- Northern Michigan University - 457
- Kent State University - 424
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor - 400
- University of Texas at Austin - 371
- North Dakota State University - 360
- Indiana University - 353
- Western Kentucky University - 353
- Seton Hall University - 338
- Arizona State University - 336
- Marshall University - 331