German police have filed criminal charges against more than 2,000 people accused of using the eDonkey file-sharing network to share copyrighted music illegally, the recording industry’s trade group said Tuesday.
According to German-language Spiegel Online, there is reportedly a behind-the-scenes, unofficial agreement between Hollywood and some consumer electronics manufacturers, including Microsoft and Sony, not to use ICT [Image Constraint Tokens] until 2010, or possibly even 2012. Without providing more details, the report suggests that Hollywood isn’t exactly happy with the situation, and could very well renege on the agreement, such that it is. But the agreement is there nonetheless, presumably to help the industry transition to HDMI. This could explain why the very same studios that pushed for HDMI and ICT have recently announced that they would not use it for the time being.
[…] If indeed there is an “agreement” of sorts between companies like Microsoft and Sony and the studios (including Sony’s own entertainment interests), this could certainly help to explain why these consoles are shipping today without HDMI support. But such unofficial agreements are gentlemanly in nature: at any time, all bets could be off. In the meantime, it appears as though Hollywood is playing it safe, hoping to keep the boogeyman of HDMI at bay while consumers weigh their options. Whether or not the strategy is ultimately about keeping users happy or lulling them into a false sense of security remains to be seen, but we’re fairly certain that ICT was designed to be used, and used it will be.
Slashdot article: Pact Not to Use Image Constraint Token Until 2010?
This Washington Post editorial takes the federal government to task, completely ignoring the fact that the business of digital identity is far more pervasive and intrusive, yet almost certainly equally inept at managing anything like meaningful security for those whose identities are their stock in trade: Digital Incompetence
IT’S NOT as though identity theft is a new worry. Last year companies such as Time Warner Inc. and Citigroup Inc. were in the news for losing computer tapes with sensitive personal information. The Bush administration has created something called the President’s Identity Theft Task Force. Virtually every discussion of this subject makes a basic point: Although some data theft is inevitable in a digital society, institutions that collect people’s names, birthdays and Social Security numbers must at least try to avoid losing them. Don’t ship unencrypted computer tapes by UPS and then say you’re sorry if the parcel goes astray. Don’t let employees take sensitive files home, where they may be lost or stolen.
This may sound obvious, but it apparently must be said again [….]
Under the settlement, consumers will be able to exchange CD’s with the copy-protection software for a replacement CD without the software and other compensation depending on what type of software was included on the CD they purchased.
Sony will also provide consumers with a patch to remove the software from their computers.
- Google and Video: Google Moves to Sell Space for Video Spots on Network of Web Sites; Google to Offer Video Ad Service [pdf]; Slashdot: Google to Distribute Online Video Ads
- Microsoft’s aspirations from NPR: Microsoft Plays Catch-Up in Online Advertising
Called the “Internet Freedom Preservation Act,” the bill was introduced on Friday by Maine Republican Olympia Snowe and North Dakota Democrat Sen. Byron Dorgan and enjoys support from six other Democrats. The nine-page measure (click for PDF) contains a detailed list of obligations for all broadband service providers.
Specifically, they would generally not be allowed to “block, interfere with, discriminate against, impair or degrade” access to content or to prevent users from attaching devices of their choosing to the network. Network operators would also be barred from making special deals with content providers to ensure speedier delivery or improved quality of service and would be required to offer all Internet material on an “equivalent” basis.
Muleta, former head of the wireless bureau at the Federal Communications Commission, wants to offer free wireless broadband to consumers across the U.S. So he has launched a new company called M2Z Networks, which has raised an undisclosed amount of money from three major venture-capital firms, including Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Charles River Ventures, and Redpoint Ventures.
M2Z aims provide a basic advertiser-supported service at no cost to consumers. It would charge fees for premium services, such as faster connection speeds. “The model here is broadcast TV,” said Muleta, referring to free over-the-air TV, which is supported by ad revenue. He founded the company with Milo Medin, founder of the @Home Networks broadband service.
But what may sound like a straightforward plan won’t be easy to put into practice. M2Z’s biggest obstacle is gaining access to the radio airwaves over which wireless signals travel. […]
[…] Muleta wants to bypass the auction process altogether. He’s hoping to strike a deal that would give him a preset block of underutilized spectrum in the range of 2155 megahertz to 2175 megahertz. The government has designated the spectrum for high-speed wireless services. Rather than fork over the up-front payments associated with auctions, M2Z wants to give the government 5% of annual sales.
Not if the wireless industry has anything to say about it. Wireless executives who declined to be identified said Muleta is trying to trade on his government background, using President Bush’s aim to provide universal broadband by the end of next year as a way to make a buck. “It’s crass,” says one wireless executive. Wireless industry trade group CTIA-The Wireless Assn. opposes the proposal, too. “We don’t see a need for the FCC to revisit their decision to allocate and auction this valuable spectrum for advanced wireless services,” says Joe Farren, a spokesman for the group.
From the NYTimes: Company Asks U.S. to Provide Radio Space for Free Internet