The KIDNEY TRANSPLANT/DIALYSIS ASSOCIATION, INC., is an organization made up of artificial kidney and kidney transplant patients, and their families and friends. Now with over 1,900 members across New England, as well as throughout the country, the KT/DA is dedicated to providing financial aid, information, and emotional support to chronic renal disease patients and their families.
The KT/DA is an all volunteer organization which uses 100% of all the funds raised to benefit kidney patients. We pay no salaries, rents, or administrative fees. Donated funds are used for such projects as the following:
- The Patient Assistance Committee (PAC) provides funds for kidney patients in financial need. Hospital social workers direct applicants to the PAC. Funds granted to these patients are used to pay for transportation to and from treatments and for basic living expenses, such as food, rent, clothing, and utilities.
- The KT/DA sends children who are on dialysis to summer camps where dialysis treatments are available.
- Each year, the KT/DA awards scholarships to kidney patients or members of their immediate families for continuation of post-secondary school education.
- Social activities sponsored by the KT/DA include regular meetings at which refreshments are served and patients and family members can get together in an informal, non-medical setting. Most meetings feature a talk by a renal professional.
- A quarterly newsletter, the RenalGram, informs members about recent medical advances, facts relating to treatment, important legislation, and the progress of their fellow patients.
- The KT/DA designed and built the Kidney Patient Lounge at the former Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (now Brigham and Women’s Hospital) at a cost of over $30,000 in 1975.
The KT/DA places special emphasis on individual contact between kidney patients. We are especially interested in helping new or prospective patients overcome their fears and anxieties, and to learn more about what dialysis and transplantation will mean for them. We urge you to call upon us for information and assistance.
If you would like to join the KT/DA, obtain further information, or be contacted by one of our members, please write to us at P.O. Box 1362 GMF, Boston, Massachusetts 02205, or e-mail to email@example.com, or leave your name and phone number with our answering service, (617) 641-4000. Meetings are held approximately every two months (except during the summer) at the Newton Marriott Hotel in Newton, MA (as of this writing). Annual dues are $7.00 for individuals, $10.00 for families, $25.00 for health professionals, and $100.00 for corporate/facility memberships (non-voting).
Note: Financial assistance is limited to New England residents.